Thursday, November 24, 2011

Mark Bradford


The other day my family, Julia Patton, and I had the privilege of venturing down to the Dallas Museum of Art to see Jean Paul Gaultier and Mark Bradford's exhibitions.  Gaultier won my family's "favorite"exhibit complete with bizarre talking mannequins and Lady Gaga/Madonna-esque trans-gender garments.  It was crazy.  However, my favorite was Mark Bradford's abstract "paintings".  His paint and collage created incredible abstractions using old billboards, advertisements, and hairdressing endpapers.  His work is created through the process of sanding the buildup of layer and material.  It was amazing to see his work, which I have seen in books and on the internet, come to life and fill an entire wall.  The work traces society and race of cities past.  


Check out his website to learn more about him and his work.



No comments:

Post a Comment