Friday, September 30, 2011

Artist Statement


It always is a painful experience to embark upon writing an artist statement.  Artist statements are always changing... how am I (an artist for a reason) supposed to formulate my current thoughts into words?  This process was a pain and very hard for me this time around.  I would like to thank those who took the time to proofread this and told me when I didn't make sense.  You guys are the best. 



My work explores the parallel tensions between struggle and peace, childhood and maturity.  The process that begins with childhood and culminates in maturity is one of struggle and conflict, with peace as its ultimate end.  During childhood, our fundamental ideals, ethic, and societal roles are shaped. In maturity, we finally resolve how to live within and carry out these fundamentals. My work requires an insightful search, patience, diligence, trial, and a hopeful vision toward a product I cannot yet see, mirroring the continuing search for and creation of self.  As a fibers artist, I seek to communicate a firm conviction that peace will come through restoration. Finding beauty in that which requires time and patience, I wish to convey that comfort, beauty, and depth are products of hard work and trial. Through the exploration of various mediums and textures, my work provides comfort, beauty, and depth and, in its completion, is an image of that for which we hope: peace and rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment