Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sheila, You've Done It Again.

This past weekend my roommates and I had the greatest privilege of keeping Claire company as she went back home to Charlotte, NC.  This was my second time in Charlotte and the journey felt complete with stuffing my self with sushi (including a sea urchin roll) , North Carolinan BBQ, purchasing a few pieces of clothing I couldn't part, and THE BEST PART- seeing SHEILA HICKS: 50 YEARS at the Mint Museum.  We went to the Mint Museum with the idea of seeing a "cool fiber artist." As we walked up to the entrance, Spencer and I saw the big Sheila Hicks banner outside of the building.  Alright. Wait. This can't be happening.  I didn't know whether to scream, cry, or do a tap dance I was so excited.  I settled with clapping my hands, jumping, and embracing Spencer over and over again.  I. was. so. excited.  I have studied her.  I have poured hours and hours over a miniature loom myself.  I have looked at her books.  I HAVE HAD HER WORKS ON MY INSPIRATION PAGES. Anyways...

Between the pattern, color, and texture, I was in heaven.  The exhibit was truly phenomenal and I urge you all to look Sheila up or better yet WAIT FOR THE EXHIBIT TO TRAVEL TO AN AREA NEAR YOU.  I will leave you with some pictures... she is brilliant.

















No comments:

Post a Comment