Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring Has Sprung, and My Break Is Almost Done.


This has been the most unplanned spring break of my life. (the first trip that I have not had one of my parents on) That means there has been no expert navigator, no one to pay for meals, no hotels to sleep in, etc. It was an adventure and we (Julia and I) covered A LOT of ground.

Places We Went
Haig Point
Columbia
Asheville
Pawley's Island
Charleston
Savannah

Part One consisted of taking a ferry over to the Daufuskie (The First Key) Islands and getting off at Haig Point. We (Claire, Spencer, Julia, Wren, Claire's boyfriend, Claire's mom) got to stay at Claire's grandparents house. The house was perfectly southern complete with a three story screened in porch- Paula Dean even recorded one of her episodes in the house! We spent our days reading, laying out, eating, eating, eating, (a great change from the SCAD cafeteria food) playing cards, golf carting, going on walks, etc. After those few days were over, we all parted ways for the first time in weeks. :,(



Julia and I continued our travels to North Carolina. As we passed the border from SC to NC, things instantly became more beautiful. Asheville welcomed us with beautiful mountains, trees, and waterfalls. We stayed with Julia's aunt and uncle, who live up in the hills! We did everything from exploring the town, hiking, eating, shopping, and spying James Franco (one of Warren Wilson's finest) and a white squirrel.


In Pawley's Island, we got to meet up with Spencer. We hadn't seen her in three whole days!!!! It was a long separation, but everything felt right when we got to be in her presence again. We did what Spencer does everyday and went to the beach. The tan is slowly progressing and I am going to say I have never been this tan this early in the year...OHHYEAHH. We celebrated her birthday in style at Frank's Outback. I ate a lot of ice cream and cinnamon toast on this leg of the trip. Who cares! Also- we tried to fish an alligator. Sadly, we didn't catch it...next time.



This morning we left Pawley's around eleven and began our trek to Charleston. Our plan was to eat around this fine city, but we were just ready to get back to Savannah to be honest. We weren't terribly hungry, but we went to this coffee shop, hope and union. It was a very cool coffee shop but had a little too much "hipster" vibe. Will I go back? most definately. Is it my favorite? of course not.


We made the two hour trek back to Savannah and now we are here. The road trip has ended but spring break has not. I am so so so excited to be here in Savannah. Julia and I feel like Savannah is our oyster. There are barely any SCAD students and everything seems bare. I cannot wait to continue my relaxation by reading, going to the park, and beginning a new TV series. Yes. That is all.


No comments:

Post a Comment