Saturday, October 9, 2010

If I was a jewel collector, I would be rich.


This is my second try at this. There is no way that I can express how blessed I am without sounding cheesy (hint the Title of this blog post). I came to Savannah with no friends on my horizon and the constant thought bubble of- 'I won't have any friends the first year and I am okay with that, yes uh huh I will be fine. In fact I'll love it, uh huh, yes.' 'hmmm. okay Frances' was the response I would get. I was horribly sad leaving everything about the place I call home. I experience the usual bought of homesickness every now and then. I miss talking to those who aren't with me. I expected the worst here, but convinced myself otherwise with my optimism. Miss Optimistic. Or pessimistic. "It is going to be horrible, but I am okay with it..."
Let me tell you. Things have not been what I had expected. I feel as home here as I think I ever could for the first quarter in a new place with new people, new schedules, and a new place to live. This place would not be what it is without the girls I have met here. There is Julia, Spencer, Claire and Jordan. I am blessed beyond words. All throughout my life, I have been a girl of few friends. People never understood. I would try and try to be outgoing and be the social one, trying to accumulate many friends. I, after many tries, realized this was not working for me and was not me. I have a few friends and I couldn't be happier with them. My friendships run deep in me. I want to be genuine and fine genuine relationships in turn. That has been my hope and dream for my life and my relationships. I want to be fully invested in those in my life (most time I struggle with this). This is my artist statement of my work, and it applies here too:
"A book is not beautiful when closed, rather when opened its true purpose is revealed as a conduit of knowledge. I open these books with the hope that you can see the relationship between the imbedded image/text and appreciate the life restored here. These books represent the individuals isolated in this world that can and will be connected through fellowship and redemption. "
I have been blessed and have found friends here. I thought I would have to settle with my friends the first year, but I have found real jewels here. Real pearls. I miss those who are not with me dearly, but thankful for those who are. You mean more to me than you know. Cheer up, you old souls. Things are looking up because if I was a jewel collector, I would be rich.

1 comment: