Sunday, August 26, 2012

As I Have Been Conditioned To See Them


I used a handful of qualities as tools to create abstracted forms that pertain to either “femininity” or “masculinity”.  I chose the words “light”, “grouped”, and “soft” as the basis of femininity.  “Dark”, “hard”, and “distant” served as the words to inform the “masculine” piece.  In the feminine piece, the structures overlap one another and seem like individual containers.  There are more complexities in this piece due to the intricacy of stitching and transparent intersecting cut-outs.  The masculine piece is very geometric and simple.  It is two pieces of solid forms that stand apart from each other, distant. I began working on these two works with particular words informing my decisions throughout the process, whether it be color, mark making, form, shape, or line.  


Etching, Chine Colle, Hand stitched Embroidery on Japanese and Western Papers

No comments:

Post a Comment